Friday, June 25, 2010

Choosing— Podiatrist vs Orthopedic Surgeon

In 1999 I began looking into this. (Once I found out there was actually a name for this.) There was a doctor out West that seemed to dominate in this surgery. Now, there are more surgeons [in the east] listing on their website that this is a surgery they can perform. (but as of 'right now' I feel he still dominates, let's see if that changes.)

I am learning that not all Brachy-surgeries are created equal. Podiatrist seem to dominate this surgery when Googling, compared to Orthopedic surgeons. In 2008 I did reach out, via email, to a Podiatrist here in the East. He was kind enough to answer back via his blackberry. For the most part he was upbeat and ready to have me come in whenever I felt comfortable. I could in no way take 3 months off from work, per foot, for these surgeries, so I left it at that.

With the possibility of maybe working remotely for my company on the horizon, I am now looking into finally getting my feet reconstructed. I've done a descent amount of homework. I started off favoring the "West" doctor, (I favored his Experience) but I know I should get more than one opinion on my conditions. That's when I put the "East" doctor on my radar as well. My plan is to have a consultation with both. Dr.West will have to be by phone. BUT his office has already sent me a preliminary packet to know the steps required for a phone consultation, all that is involved to fly down for the surgery, the stay, etc. For right now I am working on getting to them a packet of all the forms and insurance information they need. I have to send xrays and photos too. Then I will be able to meet with him by phone and ask all my questions.

Dr. East is a little easier. He's local. In fact, I have already met and had my first consultation with him. For now I feel he is nice, but my decision won't be made upon niceties. I don't think he is as experienced in Brachy-surgery as Dr. West. But I may not be able to stay in the West for the moths of post-op. My employer is having its shaky times and I can't afford to be jobless. Going out West may be a bit too much to ask. Going and staying for that period of time proves quite challenging with a dog in toe as well. ;o)

The question of Podiatrist vs Orthopedic surgeon in uniquely mine as Brachymetatarsia is not my only condition. I also have bunions and bunionettes to add to the mix. There are claims that Podiatrists do lousy jobs on bunionectomies compared to Orthos, but I've read the opposite as well. To me my findings were equal. I've looked up the difference in their education requirements, law, etc. Because I have Brachy with my bunions I have decided to go with Podiatry. (If I had Bunions alone, I would have a consultation with both a Podiatrist and an Orthopedic Surgeon.)  

I feel both doctors on my radar (Podiatrists), have the opportunity to do good work. But which one will do the best job? Once I have a consultation with the 2nd podiatrist I'll have to decide

Tootles! Smile, Jesus Loves YOU! ;o)


No comments:

Post a Comment